The vision of The Mater Hospital Pharmacy is to render quality, efficient, and professional pharmaceutical services to patients and other clients.
The team strives to achieve the hospital pharmacy vision by ensuring:-
- Constant availability of quality, cost effective drugs
- Adherence to good professional practice
- Professional approach in sourcing our medicines with no compromise on the quality
- Rigorous checks are done to ensure no drugs expire in our pharmacy
- Patient counselling with regard to drug use
- Dissemination of drug information
- Regular performance analysis
- Enhancing patient safety through audits of drug therapies
- Provision of specialised drugs including new HIV/AIDS drugs and monitoring patients on TB treatment though a collaborative KAPTLD/Mater Hospital initiative.
At the Mater Hospital Pharmacy, good quality generics are stocked alongside branded drugs. Mater Hospital is recognised as a centre for training pharmacist interns in collaboration with The Ministry of Health, Pharmacy and Poisons Board.
The pharmacy is organised into four areas:-
The Main Pharmacy out-patient unit– Processes outpatient prescriptions from within The Mater Hospital as well as external prescriptions. Non sterile extemporaneous are also compounded here. The Main Pharmacy is open 8.am to 5 pm on weekdays and 8 am to 2 pm on weekends and public holidays
Outpatient Pharmacy– Processes outpatient prescriptions from the A/E as well as external prescriptions. The Outpatient Pharmacy is open 24 hours
In-patient Pharmacy A 24 hour Pharmacy that processes in-patient treatment sheets and ward stock orders.
Patient Discharges Deals with the discharge prescriptions and the final billing of drugs a discharged patient used while admitted. Patients pay for only drugs used. Unused drugs are returned back to Pharmacy so that the patient can be credited.
The pharmacy ensures continuous exchange of Medical knowledge and to keep up with the world trends in medicine through lectures conducted on a weekly basis where a team of pharmaceutical experts share their findings in the area of pharmacy.